Power Management

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Wed Feb 18 07:36:59 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-02-17 at 20:19 +0000, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> My dual-boot ThinkPad T61 has a Windows power utility that sets the
> level at which charging commences.  A recent update of that utility
> reset the level to 85%.  So what happens is that the slow discharge when
> suspended or used briefly on battery doesn't result in a recharge until
> the level has dropped below 85%.  The utility suggests that this
> lengthens battery life as compared to, say a 95% or 97% threshold.  I
> guess the point is mainly to reduce the frequency of discharge/charge
> cycles.

Hay guys there's this thing called Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_ion_battery#Storage_temperature_and_charge

Optimal storage charge for a Li-Ion is %40. Also, heat causes Li-Ion
batteries to degenerate much faster, so if you're really worried about
preserving your battery, don't leave it in the laptop while it's
running. Yet another argument for less power usage. Less power, less
heat, longer battery service life. Fewer toxic batteries going in to the
land fill if you like that angle.