Fedora 11 Mass Rebuild

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Feb 18 16:59:12 UTC 2009

Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-02-17 at 20:42 -0500, Jon Masters wrote:
>> And what will happen when something wants a static
>> library file to link against?
>
> This one is a little bit more interesting, perhaps everything that is
> static should get a second rebuild pass.  Of course, now I'm going to
> want a good programmatic way of discovering what is statically compiled,
> preferably without having to look at the binaries themselves.

It needs more resources, but the obvious solution is to do what gcc
does... rebuild *everything* twice, and remove from the rebuild list
things that produced an identical package. Then do a third pass, and
continue until nothing changes. (Probably it will be necessary to scan
the rebuild list between subsequent packages to cull things that are
only "changed" due to timestamps and the like.)

This should catch everything where a rebuilt dependency caused the
resulting package to be different.

--
Matthew
"Nobody expects the traditional Bourne shell!"