add a special Provides: to all login manager packages

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Wed Feb 18 22:02:45 UTC 2009

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 02:01:30PM -0500, clumens at redhat.com wrote:
> > Since hardcoded lists always suck, I'm therefore proposing that all
> > packages containing a login manager include a special Provides: that we
> > can query on.  Then nobody ever has to come asking for a change again,
> > and if package names change, it's fine.
>
> After looking at everyone's suggestions and thinking a bit on my own, I
> think any of the following are acceptable to me:
>
>    Provides: login(graphical)
>
>    Provides: config(graphical-login)

This should not be used since there is already (or there was) a virtual
provides like that added automatically. Besides I don't find it very
adapted to the case at hand.

>    Provides: service(graphical-login)
>
> I like making it clear that this is a graphical login, since I'd hate
> for the "login" program to provide this as well.  service() makes some
> sense since gdm - at least - continues to run after you've logged in.
> That's kind of service-like.

I think that service() could be reserved for daemons waiting in
the background. Maybe the display managers qualify for that, especially in a
fast user switching world (when serving xdmcp they do, but in that case
there is already the server(xdmcp) virtual provides).

Using service(graphical-login) has the advantage to be more general,
the disadvantage to be less precise.

--
Pat