Package review request: OpenBSD calendar(1) command

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 00:36:27 UTC 2009

David Cantrell wrote:
> Chris Adams wrote:
>>> This looks to me like the "sendmail" command. Isn't it a rather
>>> generic name for a command ?
>>>
>>> But it can be provided by several packages, and we use the
>>> alternatives system for that.
>>>
>>> Couldn't we do the same for calendar ?
>>
>> Is this "calendar" the same as:
>>
>>    calendar - Writes reminder messages to standard output
>>
>> If so, that is the program name, and it should stay.  I've got it on
>> Tru64 Unix (which is BSD derived from many years ago) as a standard part
>> of the OS.
>>
>> Is somebody next going to say "ed" has to be renamed because there are
>> other editors?
>
> Yes, this is the calendar command you are thinking of.  It prints
> reminder messages and can easily be dropped in to cron.  It's been a
> standard part of BSD for quite some time, but Linux has lacked an
> equivalent.
>
> I have taken this command from the OpenBSD source repository and patched
> it for Linux.  So, upstream for this command is not going to change the
> name (as suggested by some other people).
>
> The name of the program has always been 'calendar'.

So AFAICS there's currently no Guideline that specifies maintainers MUST
be proactive about conflicts.  I've been proactive about conflicts when
there were other Unix programs out there as that's common sense.  But
when the program in question is a standard command then common sense
would be that the program should not be renamed... anything else that
conflicted with this would either be trampling on the standard command
and should be renamed or a reimplementation of the standard command that
should be provided via some alternatives-ish mechanism or deciding one
has better features and dropping the other.

So what is a "standard command" is the crux.  If we had a Guideline I'd
be inclined to have something like this:

"""
Common names are allowed for standard commands since those will be the
only commands to implement them.  Standard commands include things
provided for in published and widely implemented standards like POSIX
and de facto standards such as a program that has traditionally been
shipped with a certain filename as part of a large number of Unix
variants.  If in doubt, send a message with details of what standards
the command appears in, how long it's been available on what Unix
systems, and whether you've found any conflicting programs that
implement a substantially different command with the same filename.
"""

-Toshio