add a special Provides: to all login manager packages
christoph.wickert at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 19 02:10:18 UTC 2009
Am Mittwoch, den 18.02.2009, 20:20 -0500 schrieb Colin Walters:
> On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 8:05 PM, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:
> > While I don't think GDM and KDM are going to cut it for everyone (KDM drags
> > in a lot of KDE, GDM a lot of GNOME, neither is a good solution for XFCE,
> > LXDE etc.), so I do think we should support more DMs, currently the only
> > DMs which actually *work* are those two.
> I don't think it's as obvious as that; both XFCE and LXDE share a lot
> of the same infrastructure that's used for gdm (primarily GTK+).
In fact GTK+ is the _only_ thing they share. You call this a lot?
> exactly about GDM is not suitable? That's the question they should be
> able to answer.
Ok, here we go:
1. The gnome-session requirement: Both Xfce and LXDE already have
their session managers (xfce4-session and lxsession-lite).
2. The gnome-settings-daemon requirement: Both Xfce and LXDE have
their settings-daemons (xfconfd and lxsettings).
3. The GConf requirement: Xfce already has xfconf, lxde doesn't
need anything like that.
4. The fact that gdm requires at least a 800x600 screen (bz #
5. The fact that gdm is messing up the numer of desktops for nearly
all window managers except metacity.
> -- Colin, skeptical of "extremely faster" and were the LXDE home page
> a wiki, would want to add [Citation needed]
see slide 5 and if you still don't believe it, try yourself. ;)
More information about the devel