config.guess manufacturer string?

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Thu Feb 19 13:13:33 UTC 2009

On Thu, 19 Feb 2009, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> Panu Matilainen wrote:
>> On Wed, 18 Feb 2009, Stepan Kasal wrote:
>>
>> Suse patches automake's config.guess to return <arch>-suse-linux,
> Really?
>
> This would be a serious bug in their automake, rendering tarballs having
> having been generated on SuSE largely worthless and rendering non-SuSE-OS
> generated tarballs largely worthless on Suse.

Check out automake-SuSE.patch from
http://download.opensuse.org/factory/repo/src-oss/suse/src/automake-1.10.1-44.225.src.rpm
Reading a bit more carefully, it's patched to return <arch>-suse-linux
when executed on a SuSE system (or their build system), and pc/unknown for
the manufacturer part otherwise.

>> and based on random sampling of src.rpm's, dont seem to be using %configure
>> that much at all, most of what I checked just use ./configure.
> I had been told (from suse employees), they had a policy to not use
> %configure for many years and label it "unsupported", because the machinery
> in rpm behind it was simply too broken.

Heh, right...

> I don't know if this policy still applies.

Based on my random sampling, seems to apply still (at least mostly).

>> Then there's Debian, where the default configure invocation apparently
>> defaults to --build=<arch>-linux.
>>
>> So "abusing" the manufacturer part for distro vendor name seems to be not
>> an entirely uncommon thing.
> Yes, it's common amongst many rpm based distros.
>
> The Debian thing you mention is equivalent to internally using
> <arch>-[pc|unknown]-linux

Yup.

 	- Panu -