"Action required" list?

Tom Lane tgl at redhat.com
Thu Feb 19 16:20:21 UTC 2009

Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com> writes:
> On Thu, 2009-02-19 at 07:58 -0500, Michael DeHaan wrote:
>> For things like "Fedora 11 Mass Rebuild" that are of general interest,
>> could be have a seperate list for "important" packager actions?

> fedora-devel-announce exists, and the message about the mass rebuild was
> sent to that list.

I think though that there might be a market for an intermediate-volume
list; or perhaps the restrictions on fedora-devel-announce are too
tight.  The use-case I'm thinking of is "heads up" announcements that
someone is about to break compatibility of a given package.  Currently
we do that on fedora-devel-list, and it's easy for someone to miss that
something is happening to a package they depend on.  Somebody made a
suggestion a month or two back to move those announcements to
fedora-devel-announce (with any followup discussion on -devel).  As far
as I've seen that's not been adopted, and the current guidelines for
-announce certainly don't seem to favor it.

In short, -announce currently seems intended only for announcements that
just about every Fedora developer had better pay attention to.  What
should we do with announcements that affect only customers of particular
packages?

			regards, tom lane