[HELP] Changing source archive in srpm

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Feb 19 21:45:11 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-02-18 at 16:17 -0600, Jeffrey Ollie wrote:

> I need to remove some files from the Asterisk tarballs (one for legal
> reasons, the other for size/redundancy issues).

This sounds fishy. I'm not sure it ever makes sense to remove a file
from an upstream tarball for 'size/redundancy issues'. After all, we're
not shipping the source tarball anywhere but in the SRPMs, which are
only on mirrors, and I'm not aware of some huge space pressure problem
there that you'd be solving by stripping files from tarballs.

Messing with upstream tarballs is, IMHO, a sensitive operation that
should only be done when absolutely unavoidable, and the only case where
it's absolutely unavoidable is if the tarball contains something we
can't legally provide on a Fedora mirror.

For anything else, I believe the tarball should be kept intact. By all
means drop files from the final binary packages that would be taking up
space for no real reason - using %exclude or whatever - but I don't see
a justification for dropping them from the SRPM, unless there's some
space-critical use of SRPMs that I'm unaware of.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey