config.guess manufacturer string?

Jakub Jelinek jakub at redhat.com
Fri Feb 20 11:44:07 UTC 2009

On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 12:39:02PM +0100, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>> I don't have time to search for them right now, so just a few:
>> gcc (e.g. libstdc++-v3, libgomp, etc. in it)
>> glibc
>> gmp
>> openssl
> Then fix them.

I don't think it is a bug and I'm not alone in that.  So why should I change
them, again?  Because you don't like %configure passing --build?
Why should upstream projects care?

>> but in reality sparc-linux is something different from sparcv9-linux
>> from say sparcv9v-linux
>
> 1. neither sparc-linux nor sparc9c-linux are part of Fedora.
>
> 2. sparc/sparcv9-sun-* is _the_ classic example of a multilib'ed
> environment, using a multilib'ed toolchain.

sparcv9-linux is 32-bit sparc linux that can run only on 64-bit CPUs.
Multilib is between sparc{,v*}-linux and sparc64{,v*}-linux.

>> and i586-linux is different from i386-linux.
> No. Same toolchain, different CFLAGS, different multilibs.

We aren't going to make i386 vs. i586 separate multilibs.

	Jakub