Package review request: OpenBSD calendar(1) command

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Sun Feb 22 17:03:11 UTC 2009

Christoph Wickert wrote:
> Am Samstag, den 21.02.2009, 07:10 -0800 schrieb Toshio Kuratomi:
>> If the other program was merely packaged for Fedora first, it would have
>> to give up its name to the BSD calendar.
>
> How would you make sure the upgrade path doesn't get broken?

Suggestions? ;-)

The only one I can think of that would work is not very nice:

Couple Fedora releases:
foo-calendar
Obsoletes: calendar < 1.0

bsd-calendar
Version: 1.1

After a few releases, no calendar package for foo-calendar is now in the
repositories of non-EOL releases:

rename bsd-calendar to calendar

We could also accept update path replacement of the foo-calendar package
and simply do the rename at once.  People who had foo-calendar will
suddenly have bsd-calendar instead.

In either case, this makes looking for common names at review more
important as it's hard to fix later on.

>> If there are two programs that don't have a long historical or
>> standards-based claim to the name then we'd ask both packagers to
>> approach upstream about renaming.
>
> Ok, how about epiphany then? The official name is "epiphany-browser" and
> there also is a game called epiphany, that is older than the browser.
> What are we going to do if someone wanted to package the game? Even if
> we renamed epiphany to epiphany-browser we would still have a conflict
> with %{_bindir}/epiphany.

So it doesn't sound like either of these has the "long historical or
standards-based claim to the name"  (I could be wrong about the game,
though) so both would be taken upstream.  Hopefully we'd end up with
different names down to the filesystem level.

If neither upstream was willing to rename, we'd want to take it to the
other distros (distributions-list at freedesktop.org) and try to work out a
renaming scheme that all of us could follow.  Whatever package got the
rename there would have to change its name.  We'd have to take care of
both the package name and any conflicting filesystem paths.

-Toshio