Status of gconf -> dconf

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Tue Feb 24 17:30:49 UTC 2009

2009/2/23 Callum Lerwick <seg at haxxed.com>:

> Yes, constantly re-inventing the filesystem, inside a file, is a much
> better idea.

It's not reinventing the filesystem, any more than the various systems
in current /etc are.

>> Don't get me wrong - GConf has some very bad design flaws (at least
>> should have used something like Protocol Buffers instead of XML), and
>> I'm not defending the weird dconf licensing.
>>
>> But "let's just use lots of files" is not the answer.
>
> So group your keys if too many files is such a problem. You know, like
> we've been doing for decades. Config files are a Solved Problem,

I don't think so.  It's actually a quite hard problem.

> Everything not greppable, diffable, human readable and editable, should
> be dragged out in to the street and shot. This is /configuration/ we're
> talking about.

Nothing prevents one from writing a FUSE layer to expose an actually
efficient configuration store for the developer/sysadmin experience
without imposing overhead for the normal case.