autoconf and epel-5

Tom Lane tgl at redhat.com
Wed Feb 25 02:12:18 UTC 2009

Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 at freenet.de> writes:
> Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
>> FWIW, I'll vote against that draft if it gets to the FPC.

> Feel free to do so, but ... are you sure you understand what you are
> doing? I feel no.

I'm with Toshio.  I routinely re-libtoolize/re-autoconf most of my
packages, and have absolutely no intention of accepting the advice
given here, because *it doesn't work*.  I've tried working with the
old autoconf scripts embedded in upstream packages.  It hasn't worked
in the past and I don't expect it to start working in the future,
considering the frequency with which the Fedora toolset changes in
incompatible ways.  What is suggested here is morally equivalent to
patching at the assembly code level instead of the source level, and
I ain't gonna put up with that.

			regards, tom lane