Anjuta fails to build: RPM help needed

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Wed Feb 25 07:27:19 UTC 2009

On Tue, 24 Feb 2009, Debarshi Ray wrote:

> The rpm-4.6.0-python-validate.patch introduced in rpm-4.6.0-6 and
> described by the following commit is one of the reasons for the
> problems in trying to build anjuta [1] in Rawhide.
>
> * Fri Feb 20 2009 Panu Matilainen <pmatilai at redhat.com> - 4.6.0-6
> - error out on uncompilable python code (Tim Waugh)
>
> What happens is that Anjuta installs some code templates in
> %{_datadir}/anjuta which get converted into proper C, C++ or Python
> files once a project is created and some parameters like license,
> author, etc. are specified by the user. So these templates are not
> really valid Python files by themselves even though they have .py as a
> suffix. So for obvious reasons, running brp-python-bytecompile causes
> the build to fail.

Ok, so we need to figure out a reasonable way to disable the extra
checking. I suspected that'll be the case but hoping otherwise :)

> Can any one suggest a solution? Should I just redefine
> %__os_install_post to %{nil}?

Right now: redefining %__os_install_post will work, but is a tad large
hammer for the task. Other possibilities involve avoiding python in the
buildroot (obviously not always possible) and renaming .py to something
else like Thomas suggested (but might not be possible either for various
reasons)

Even if this particular case could be worked around by something, doesn't
mean everything can be worked around reasonably... so we'll need to
parametrize the thing so that you can turn the syntax check off or into a
warning-only from spec.

 	- Panu -