Yet another noarch package problem

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 17:24:04 UTC 2009

On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 16:30:35 +0100, Christoph wrote:

> I would like to split the lxde-common package because most of it's
> content is noarch (artwork, config files) but it also includes
> /usr/bin/lxde-settings, the lxde-settings manager written in C.
>
> The packages should be named lxde-common and lxde-settings after the
> split. But RPM can only do noarch subpackages, so the base package needs
> to be lxde-settings. Does that mean that I have to rename the package in
> CVS, request a re-review, mark the old package dead and so on? As a site
> effect bugzilla would only have a lxde-settings component instead of
> lxde-common, which might confuse people.

Only other option I see is this:

* keep the lxde-common component for cvs/bugzilla
* build no (!) lxde-common package
* build arch-specific lxde-settings subpackage
* build noarch lxde-basewhatever subpackage
* add a virtual lxde-common package to lxde-basewhatever
  (i.e. "Provides: lxde-common = %version-%release")

;·)