Installing with separate /home partition & bug #150670

King InuYasha ngompa13 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 21:58:29 UTC 2009

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 3:53 PM, Bruno Wolff III <bruno at wolff.to> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 13:35:49 -0800,
>  Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, 2009-02-25 at 15:25 -0600, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> > >
> > > You might need to be smarter than that. I have a lot installed
> (including
> > > some rpmfusion stuff), but hardly everything and my / is close to 40
> GB.
> >
> > That's really rather big. How'd you hit that? Are you sure you don't
> > have some specific thing taking up a lot of space? What's du or baobab
> > or something tell you?
>
> I have all of the different language stuff installed which adds quite a
> bit. I don't actually use anything except English, but I like to check
> for conflicts, as occasionally there will be conflicts that only appear
> in a subpackage for a specific language.
>
> --

Most of my systems either have a 40GB or an 80GB hard disk.
For the 40GB hard disk, I set it to 15GB for / and 23GB for /home with 2GB
for swap.
For the 80GB hard disk, I set it to 20GB or 40GB (depending on whether I
expect games to be installed on it) for /, and 55GB or 35GB for /home and
5GB swap. The reason I have such a high swap is because the machines that I
do have the higher hard disks, they run more intensive processes and I put
it there for a precaution.
My one machine that does have 160GB hard disk is set up like this: 50GB for
/, 105GB for /home, and 5GB for swap. This machine runs video conversion and
recording and all sorts of extra media center goodies, so that's why /home
is so large.

ServeMobile (one of my laptops) has an 80GB hard disk, and has been running
Fedora from 8 onward. When I switched to Fedora 9, I upped the swap
space because of some slowdowns that I experienced because of swap maxing
out. And in Fedora 10, it uses this configuration.