autoconf and epel-5

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Thu Feb 26 09:53:38 UTC 2009

Michael Schwendt wrote:
> Anyway, in general I agree. Better prepare patch files. Relying on
> arbitrary autotools versions and "autoreconf" to create good and
> compatible output bears a risk. It depends on what projects you need to
> patch, on the complexity of the autotools input files, and on whether they
> make poor assumptions (or access variables they ought not).

The patches for the generated files are usually huge and full of unrelated
changes due to some minor patchlevel change of the autotools or the line
numbers changing in the input files and thus won't apply anymore to the
next upstream release. So this type of patches is a major PITA to work
with.

        Kevin Kofler