Installing with separate /home partition & bug #150670

Michel Salim michel.sylvan at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 17:06:52 UTC 2009

2009/2/25 Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger at gmail.com>:
> Bruno Wolff III wrote:
>> On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 13:35:49 -0800,
>>   Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
>>> That's really rather big. How'd you hit that? Are you sure you don't
>>> have some specific thing taking up a lot of space? What's du or baobab
>>> or something tell you?
>>
>> I have all of the different language stuff installed which adds quite a
>> bit. I don't actually use anything except English, but I like to check
>> for conflicts, as occasionally there will be conflicts that only appear
>> in a subpackage for a specific language.
>>
> games are something you'd see on a desktop install and those can take up
> quite a bit of room.

Also, 100 MB for boot (per original proposal) is definitely
insufficient: I have a 160 MB boot and when using the preupgrade tool,
it failed -- not enough space -- until I removed all but one kernel.

Let's say 256 MB boot. Everything else really depends on usage. Should
we not distinguish between server-centric (large /var, smaller /) and
desktop-centric (no need for separate /var and /tmp, big /) usage?

Plus, given that the default setup is LVM anyway, let's not allocate
100% of the space. That way, if the partitioning logic gets it wrong,
the too-small partition can be grown without having to stick in
another disk.

Regards,

--
miʃel salim  •  http://hircus.jaiku.com/