Fedora 11 Mass Rebuilds

Bill Crawford billcrawford1970 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 16:31:09 UTC 2009

On Thursday 26 February 2009 16:12:27 Panu Matilainen wrote:

> We take compatibility dead seriously, but there are very real limits to
> what can be done compatibly and what can be be reasonably backported, if
> possible at all. The strong hash support might be within possibilities but
> already in rpm 4.6.0 the large package support is something that is
> *impossible* to backport due to the required API/ABI changes.

Isn't there a) a version number in the header, and b) the possibility of one of
those rpmlib(Foo) == 111 requires being added? At least one source rpm I
grabbed to look at fails to install on an older system, but there's no warning
at all before you get these checksum errors.

Better to fail with a warning that some new feature is required?