Ready for new RPM version?

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Thu Feb 26 20:05:31 UTC 2009

On Thu, 26 Feb 2009, Bill Nottingham wrote:

> Panu Matilainen (pmatilai at laiskiainen.org) said:
>> So, should I bother with a RPM 4.7 feature page or not?
>
> If we're doing it, it should have a feature page. Whether or not
> we're doing it should depend on:
>
> - will it be final by final release? (I'd prefer to not ship an
>  RC. Yes, I know we did with F10, and that's part of the problem)

That's certainly the intention, and yes 4.6.0 dragged far too long in -rc
series. If that fails to happen for whatever reason there's always the
possibility of going back to 4.6.0 which in this case is just a matter of
epoch bump and rebuilding the handful of packages that link to librpm
directly. There are no database or other such format issues involved here.

> - what user visible changes will this make, especially that could
>  fail package builds. From reading the release note, there's one
>  of these.

Hmm? If you mean the noarch check, that's already in rawhide rpm.

> - does it change the output package format in any way that would
>  make packages unreadable by prior versions?

Only if you use the posix file capabilities (but this is protected against
with a rpmlib() dependency).

 	- Panu -