Installing with separate /home partition & bug #150670

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri Feb 27 01:55:43 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-02-25 at 22:54 -0600, Callum Lerwick wrote:

> Also consider how much free space you need on / to perform a
> "preupgrade". Hint: a lot.

I remember someone asking me on IRC why Mandriva bothers to split large
urpmi (yum equivalent) transactions into small groups. This is the
answer. :)

> I really don't think automatically splitting /home is a good idea. Any
> heuristic is just that, heuristic. It's inevitably going to fail in some
> cases.

Mandriva and SUSE (and possibly Debian? Not sure) have been doing it for
years and it really hasn't been hurting many (if any) people. I read
every post to the Mandriva forums for four years from 2004 to 2008, I
think there were maybe five or six people in all that time who filled
up / (and it was usually because something had actually broken and
started spewing zillions of bytes into log files or something, and in
that case, it'd fill up / eventually no matter how big it is...).

>From doing some Googling, it seems Ubuntu have come up with an
alternative approach, which is for the installer not to wipe out /home
on an existing install...

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel-discuss/2008-May/004210.html
--
Adam Williamson