New kernel-doc only sometimes has an issue

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Fri Feb 27 12:35:13 UTC 2009

Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 12:45:25AM -0600, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
>> On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 12:44:05 -0500,
>>  Josh Boyer <jwboyer at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> That's not how the compose stuff works since kernel-doc is a subpackage.
>>>
>>> Bill pointed this out when the commit went into the kernel package.
>> Isn't that a problem though?
>
> For whom?
>
> The kernel-doc package isn't exactly popular.  It's built once per -rc as
> the amount of change day-to-day is likely very small or near zero.  It's
> not installed by default (or I don't think it is).

The problem is that when the SRPM for the kernel build that included the
docs is superseded in the repository by one that doesn't include the
docs, the kernel-doc package is pruned from the repo at the same time
and hence is not available to be installed by those that might want it.
For it to stay in the repo, it would have to originate from a different
source package than the kernel itself, or more special-casing would have
to be done in the repo management system.

Paul.