Ready for new RPM version?

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Sat Feb 28 00:02:18 UTC 2009

> > Multiple times a release cycle.  Particularly if we're going to be
> > working on things like new initrd creation systems and new init systems.
>
> See above - you can always boot last week's kernel. Breaking the initrd
> generation can only screw up kernels that get installed *after* the
> breakage. So just boot a kernel from before stuff got broken, then
> generate a working initrd for the newer kernel manually.

that doesn't help when its the init system itself breaking, or anything
else in the bootpath that is outside of the initrd.

> > In previous rawhide cycles wireless has frequently broken, both driver
> > and software to manage it.  There were also days when the vpn software
> > didn't work for various reasons.
>
> Ok, then. But then, that's the sort of thing that having more people
> using Rawhide should lead to happening less often. I don't think there's
> really any intrinsic reason wireless drivers have to break very often in
> a dev branch.
>
> (And again, you usually have the option of booting a known-good kernel
> in this case).

No, it means that somebody will notice and complain a tad bit earlier,
but they are still going to be broken.  You're still relying on your
userbase as the early warning detection system.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!