Ready for new RPM version?

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sat Feb 28 01:31:54 UTC 2009

Adam Williamson wrote:
> It's not, really. Fedora's is the only development branch which is so
> neglected, no other distro's is. To give the example I'm most familiar
> with, Mandriva's development branch has, this cycle, gone through a
> complete rebuild, Python 2.5 -> 2.6 migration, Tcl 8.5 -> 8.6 migration,
> X server 1.4 -> 1.6 (git snapshot then final release) migration, and a
> few other major changes. Most developers run it, as do quite a lot of
> testers, and it generally works. (While the Python 2.6 rebuild was going
> on, if you tried to upgrade, you'd see about four hundred errors. This
> was a fairly good clue that you should wait until the rebuild was
> complete before updating. Most people are able to handle this level of
> cogitation.)

They were only able to do this that reliably because Fedora did all the
testing for them. ;-) Python 2.6 and X server 1.6 are old news for us.

That said, Tcl/Tk 8.6 is interesting, we're still stuck at 8.5 in
Rawhide. :-( Given the amount of legacy Tcl/Tk software in Fedora, I'm not
sure upgrading to a beta version (which is what 8.6 still is) is that great
an idea (8.5 caused enough problems when we moved to it), but still, we're
lagging behind there. :-(

        Kevin Kofler