Ready for new RPM version?

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Sat Feb 28 02:25:27 UTC 2009

> Small point here.  X developers may run their upstream latest X, but
> that's because they want just the unstable X, nothing else unstable.  If
> they were doing it on rawhide and things crashed, is it because of the
> new X code, or some other breakage in rawhide?  What if they can't even
> test X bring up because glibc is busted?  It's quite easy to say you're
> going to run the latest and greatest for your little world of influence
> and your package set, but to properly develop it you have to have a
> stable platform to start with, to know if the changes you're making and
> the effects you're seeing are from your software vs something else
> entirely.

We're developing a distribution - Fedora. Fedora is our product, like X
is the X developers' product. Fedora is "our little world of influence
and our package set". Yes, that's a big task, but it's what we're here
for. :)

I'm getting the sense a lot of people are thinking in terms of "well, I
just work on this little piece, so I want to work on this little piece
and not be bothered when some other piece breaks". But we're really all
working on one *big* piece, here.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey