Ready for new RPM version?

Tom Lane tgl at redhat.com
Sat Feb 28 03:04:55 UTC 2009

Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> writes:
> We're developing a distribution - Fedora. Fedora is our product, like X
> is the X developers' product. Fedora is "our little world of influence
> and our package set". Yes, that's a big task, but it's what we're here
> for. :)

Are we?  Personally I'm much nearer to being an X-developer; I spend
some cycles on packaging stuff for Fedora, but that isn't, and won't
become, my main occupation.  I think you might find that most of the
pool of people you're hoping to draw from likewise have expertise
mostly in some particular area, and don't want to be bothered dealing
with breakage in other areas.

Also, one doesn't necessarily want to be bothered with breakage that
*is* connected to one's expertise.  One of the reasons I was somewhat
appalled to hear about KDE components starting to depend on mysql is
that that destroys any prospect of using KDE (or at least those
components of it) on my development workstation.  mysql spends too much
time broken or getting uninstalled/reinstalled/temporarily installed in
some incompatible version.  I can't afford to spend extra cycles
babysitting some GUI components that are teetering atop it.  I'm not
much of a a KDE fan anyway, but there is now 0 chance that I'll ever
become one, at least as long as I package mysql for Fedora.

			regards, tom lane