Getting started with Rawhide

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Sat Jan 3 17:45:49 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jan 03, 2009 at 18:35:52 +0100,
  Nicolas Mailhot <nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net> wrote:
> Le mercredi 31 décembre 2008 à 18:33 -0600, Bruno Wolff III a écrit :
> > On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 15:37:47 -0700,
>
> > > It appears that glibc in Rawhide (2.8.90) is older than the glibc in
> > > the initial F10 release (2.9).  Am I seeing that correctly?  If so,
> > > should I downgrade, or wait for Rawhide to catch up?
> >
> > There are a few other things that have higher versions in F10. That caused
> > me a bit of grief. The dejavu fonts change also caused some problems.
>
> Could you please expand? The update path is supposed to work, and I
> notified every single packager that needed to change its deps when the
> packages were re-organised.

Well it doesn't. Updates have been pushed for a few packages in F10 updates
and/or updates testing that have high NVRs than the corresponding rawhide
NVRs. Yum won't update those packages. Normally that wouldn't be a big deal
as skip broken would skip these and they would show up as orphans after the
update and you could manually downgrade them. But because so much stuff
depends on python the failure is complicated enough that skip broken
can't deal with it effectively. (In my case there was an infinite loop
where it tried to remove something, but that something was brought back
in by a dependency, resulting in the same failing package set continually
being retried.) If you uninstall a few key packages, you can get the update
to work. Once the vast majority of packages have been updated, you can
use package-cleanup --orphans to find problem packages and deal with them.
And then you can probably also reinstall some or all of what you have to
remove to get the update to work.