Ekiga dependencies

Basil Mohamed Gohar abu_hurayrah at hidayahonline.org
Sun Jan 4 04:44:55 UTC 2009

After installing Fedora 10 from the LiveCD, I wanted to install Ekiga as
well.  I discovered that the dependencies for Ekiga were:

      * libopal.so.3.4.2
              * provided by opal
      * libpt.so.2.4.2
              * provided by ptlib

Being file dependencies, yum had to pull in the the files information
from the repositories which took much longer on my slower connection
(512k right now - sympathy cards welcome).

I recall reading before (where, I do not remember) that package
dependencies are better than file ones because fewer repo files are
needed to provide an update.

So, can someone with more knowledge on the issue explain this to me?
Either way, I thought I'd mention it here, hopefully someone with more
knowledge can clarify it to me.