git-* commands in /usr/libexec/git-core/

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Wed Jan 7 15:32:52 UTC 2009

Bryn M. Reeves wrote:
> Since we carried the package with non-upstream default paths for
> these files for some time, I think we (Fedora) have some
> responsibility to clearly tell our users that we are now bringing
> things back into line with upstream.

This change isn't planned to go to any of the stable branches, so it
only affects rawhide users.  And for that, I think announcing it here
as well as clearly in the in package %changelog is pretty reasonable.
This can be added to the F-11 release notes too if folks think it's
important enough.

FWIW, We really didn't carry git with non-upstream paths for long.
The change upstream was made with the 1.6.0 release (August 17, 2008).
We discussed changing the path then (on this list), but it was decided
to wait.  Now, we've made the change in the devel branch rather early
in the cycle, so there's plenty of time for rawhide users to adapt and
have some release notes added to let those users who read them take
notice (though the cynic in me says that number is dreadfully low ;).

The average woman would rather be beautiful than smart because the
average man can see better than he can think.