Enabling drivers in staging tree in rawhide

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Thu Jan 8 16:17:09 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-01-08 at 10:31 -0500, Kyle McMartin wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 08, 2009 at 07:17:30AM +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> > IOW: Either enable or disable them. I'm unsure myself what to do but I
> > tend to say that disabling the whole staging drivers might be the best
> > for Fedora (Greg calls himself as "maintainer of crap" for a good
> > reason).
> >
> > @Davej, Cebbert and Kylem: What's your position on this?
> >

> I was largely ignoring staging/ for maintainability reasons, but if
> there's sufficient demand I can take a look at enabling some of it on a
> case by case basis, as long as it won't cause a tragic amount of grief
> for everyone.

The rtl driver has it's own 802.11 stack, just like linux-wlan-usb does
(p80211), which is also in staging.  I don't think we really want to be
maintaining twice as many wireless stacks going forward, do we?
Basically, I'm going to ignore any issues that come in from these
drivers because they aren't accepted upstream wireless drivers, despite
what gregkh (who's not a wireless developer) tries to make them.

The upstream wireless people have made it clear that these drivers
aren't acceptable in their current form, and it's unlikely either of
these will be, given that they will essentially need a complete rewrite
to use mac80211 (for rtl2860) and hostap (for linux-wlan-ng).

Dan