ssh private key password

Pete Zaitcev zaitcev at redhat.com
Fri Jan 9 21:28:58 UTC 2009

On Fri, 9 Jan 2009 08:22:50 -0600, "Jerry Amundson" <jamundso at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> In fact, I hope more and more command line tools add this GUI pop-up
> >> feature. It's awesome.
> >
> > I'm curious, why is this awesome?  It seems to me that if one has
> > chosen to type commands into a terminal emulator that changing focus
> > to a different window for further input violates the 'rule of least
> > surprise'?  Or is this some form of "GUI = good, CLI = bad" religion?
>
> I agree with you.
> I was being sarcastic to the person who preferred the current behavior.

Having a session-wide store for keys is awesome, which is why the
old ssh-agent existed in the first place! Logically if you log
through gdm, GNOME desktop is your session, and it ought to keep
your keys now. The old ssh-agent remains in the play only if you
continue using getty-initiated sessions and startx, in which case
the GNOME should defer to pre-existing session. If it doesn't then
file bugs.

As for the religion, I edit everything with gvim, because I want
something that a) support normal clipboard instead of middle-buttoning,
and b) would not destroy my files like gedit. It's launched from
the command line, of course. I guess it makes me spiritually
promiscuous.

-- Pete