comps discussion at fudcon and the future

Josh Boyer jwboyer at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 23:14:07 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 03:46:20PM -0600, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> Josh Boyer wrote:
>> Ok, but if group-metapkg has Requires on all the packages in the
>> group, then won't:
>>
>> yum remove foo-is-part-of-group
>>
>> hit the Requires on group-metapkg and have yum try to remove it,
>> along with everything else?
>
> For the benefit of the list, the answer is "yes". This is why I don't
> like using metapackages this way; you can't selectively install them.

Actually, the answer is no.

The reason being that the metapkg has Requires on the individual packages,
but the individual packages don't have Requires on the metapkg.  So you
can still remove individual packages, the "group" will just be broken.  And
that's fine, since you just decided you don't want the whole group anyway.

josh