comps discussion at fudcon and the future

Arnaud Gomes-do-Vale Arnaud.Gomes at ircam.fr
Thu Jan 15 00:59:38 UTC 2009

Hi folks,

I guess most of you don't know me as this is my first post on this
list. Just to make things clear, I am not a Fedora contributor (yet?)
but a packager for Planet CCRMA.

seth vidal <skvidal at fedoraproject.org> writes:

> When someone goes to install the group: 'yum groupinstall
> mygroup-of-fun' or 'yum install @mygroup-of-fun' then yum will grab the
> comps/groups file from each repo, look if the group you're requesting is
> there. If so it will create a metapkg rpm (a package containing only
> requirements) on the packages that exist in the repositories that are
> listed in that group. Then it will depsolve and install that pkg.

>From the point of view of a third-party repo, this means I have one
less option. At the moment, I can provide metapkgs (install this set
of packages and follow future changes) *or* groups (install this set
of packages as a starting point and let the admin decide what to do
with them).

We discussed the options for Planet CCRMA a few months back and AFAIR
we ended with someting along the lines of "let's keep metapkgs for the
time being and let's add groups when we have some free time, both can
have their use".

Actually I'm not sure there is anything in your proposal that can't be
implemented by creating a few metapkgs and making the front-end tools
metapkg-aware. Or am I missing anything obvious?

--
Arnaud