pam_console

Jack Tanner ihok at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 19 20:25:49 UTC 2009

Bill Nottingham <notting <at> redhat.com> writes:

> > Even though sound device permissions are set
> > through HAL *by default*, pam_console is still a perfectly serviceable
> > alternative.
>
> Only in the sense that you now have two disparate systems trying to control
> access to the same devices. That will never work well, and it's best to
> eliminate any confusion.

You're concerned about the corner cases. I'm concerned about my use case. To
say that "it won't ever work well" is wrong, since it works fine for me now.
What you call "eliminating confusion" I call "throwing out the baby with the
bathwater."

I'm not even saying don't throw out the bathwater. I'm just asking how this
baby should swim in the new bathwater. (Talk about a tortured baby, er,
metaphor.) :)