Wrong security attributes. Maybe a bug?

Manuel Wolfshant wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro
Tue Jan 20 08:51:07 UTC 2009

Joshua C. wrote:
> 2009/1/19 Steve Grubb <sgrubb at redhat.com>:
>
>> On Monday 19 January 2009 04:06:26 pm Steve Grubb wrote:
>>
>>> chattr -i  ./foo
>>>
>> whoops...actually, chattr +i ./foo
>>
>> -Steve
>>

> This is what I want. Thanx.
>
> But as I said earlier I had the impression that changing the owner to
> root and settting the files in 444 mode would do the work. Back then
> when I created those files I tried deleting them and I couldn't.
> Therefore I thought it's sufficient. Maybe there was something else
> that I did then and cann't remember now?

No, the behaviour that was already described by several posters (and
that you have seen before posting here) is the one implemented by any
Unix since the 60's. You should read the documentation related to file
permission in Unix and think about what each command does and what part
of the filesystem is involved. Basically the directories are files and
the permissions and copy/move/delete operations affect the content of
the "directory files" and therefore it is done according to the
permissions *of the directory*. Reading the content of a specific file
is subject to the access rights related *to the file.*

chattr use extended attributes and is specific to extNfs. a nice other
tool still using extended attributes is setfacl.