F10 and no root login - impossible to maintain systems!

Oliver Falk oliver at linux-kernel.at
Thu Jan 22 07:24:38 UTC 2009

Casey Dahlin wrote:
> Benjamin LaHaise wrote:
>> On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 10:38:53PM -0500, Casey Dahlin wrote:
>>
>>> You can get root on a Fedora box. Easily. The reason for my attitude
>>> is confirmed. You clearly have /no idea what you're talking about/.
>>>

>> Please enlighten me how one gets root on a system where you can't get
>> to a login prompt, and where logging in as a regular user fails?
>>

>>> I've asked you twice now to file a bug against a legitimate problem.
>>> If you can't get a TTY on your box with Ctrl+Alt+F2 your install is
>>> broken.
>>>

>> I've given up filing bugs on anything gnome or X related in the Fedora
>> bugzilla, as they get closed when a release goes EOL without being
>> fixed.  Please prove me wrong this time.
>>
>>         -ben
>>
> I'll need to see the problem first, and all my F10 boxes are working in
> this regard.

I've seen boxes where you cannot login any more because of LDAP and/or
Kerberos Auth not working (for whatever reasons).

That's true for >root< account as well - even if the nsswitch.conf is
*correct*.

However. Single User mode always helped and your Tech support will know
how to get into init 1. I hope. If not, you should find another Tech
Support :-P

Regarding your (Ctrl-)Alt-F2 Problem. I've never seen this. In no
release. Well, something similar on a Desktop Box, where you try to
switch from X to text console and the system freezes -> This was some
nvid** driver bug. Already fixed with latest drivers of course.

Still. Single User mode is an option that *always* worked since I know
UN*X/Linux and all their flavours :-)

-of