F10 and no root login - impossible to maintain systems!

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Jan 22 16:38:25 UTC 2009

Felix Miata wrote:
> Graphical boot is obfuscatory nonsense. I just put W2K on an old puter a few
> days ago. Linux boots right up, but W2K takes 5 minutes to reach the login
> window. The graphical blanket makes it impossible to see what is taking so
> bloody long. I know there's a startup option to avoid the graphical doz
> curtain, but that should be the default, not a hidden option. Same for Linux:
> Graphical should be a selected option for those who want it, not the default.

I strongly disagree. Putting all that "junk" (note the quotes, please)
on screen is confusing to people that think a computer should behave
like their microwave and turns people off from using Linux. Joe Average
User doesn't want to see what's going on under the hood, but he does
appreciate pretty graphics. It's a question of target audience.

Besides, unlike 'doze, Fedora gets it right in that hitting ESC makes
the graphics go away and shows you "what's going on under the hood". You
don't need to remember to fiddle with boot options to get it.

IOW, the people that care about watching the verbose boot sequence know
how to configure that. The people that don't know are the same people
that don't want to see what's going on in the first place.

--
Matthew
Who let the hippos out?