Root Logins in X...

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Jan 22 23:53:30 UTC 2009

Lyos Gemini Norezel wrote:
> A safety is fine (the warning dialog)... but unnecessarily crippling the
> root gui interface is a foolish move.

I disagree. Starting a minimal DE is fewer applications that might have
exploitable bugs. I therefore claim that we would not be doing so
"unnecessarily".

(It's also less maintenance work than trying to make something that
works for all DE's that we ship. You either have to change the DE
startup, or the DM, and in both cases that's more than one target.
Though you might have to change all the DM's regardless, since shipping
/root/.xinitrc may not be the best strategy ;-).)

--
Matthew
Who let the hippos out?