RPM: how to find installed differences?

Gerry Reno greno at verizon.net
Sat Jan 24 18:22:02 UTC 2009

Casey Dahlin wrote:
> Gerry Reno wrote:
>> Bruno Wolff III wrote:

>>> rpm -V will tell you about installed files that don't match what was in
>>> the rpm. This doesn't handle files created by install scripts, but only
>>> a few things create files in install scripts.
>>>

>> Ok, that sort of works to get some information about which files have
>> some changes.  It doesn't show any new files that may have been added
>> to the installation though.
>>
> How would it know?

Well, what I was hoping was that there was a tool that could install the
original RPM into a sandbox and then compare the differences between the
sandbox install and the existing installation and report the differences.
The problem that I'm trying to solve is inevitably we make changes to
installations due to many reasons; bug fixes, config changes, security
patches, etc.  Then when we want to upgrade to a later version of that
installation we don't always know exactly what has been changed in the
installation since we first installed it.  I looking for a way to see
all changes in the installation, whether to original files or newly
added files, as compared to the original RPM.

Regards,
Gerry