RPM: how to find installed differences?

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Sat Jan 24 18:35:48 UTC 2009

Gerry Reno wrote:
> Well, what I was hoping was that there was a tool that could install
> the original RPM into a sandbox and then compare the differences
> between the sandbox install and the existing installation and report
> the differences.

It shouldn't be all that hard to whip up a script for that task.  You
can use rpmdev-extract from rpmdevtools to unpack the original rpm
into a tmp dir, then diff the files in there against what's on the
filesystem.  It could be a handy script to add to rpmdevtools perhaps.

In fact, you may be able to extend the existing rpmdev-diff script to
handle comparing a package with the installed files on the system.

Of course, any moment now I expect someone to chime in and say such a
script already exists. :)

It's not denial. I'm just very selective about what I accept as
reality.
    -- Calvin ("Calvin and Hobbes")