Lack of update information

Julian Sikorski belegdol at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 08:16:45 UTC 2009

Rahul Sundaram pisze:
> Hi,
>
> A while back, I tried to selectively update some packages and noticed
> that the update information provided by package maintainers (seen via
> PackageKit) is sorely lacking.
>
> * Update foo to upstream 2.16.2
>
> Was very common, which is practically useless since it doesn't refer to
> upstream or downstream bugzillas or feature list or changelog. Would it
> be useful to introduce some guidelines to cover this?
>
> Rahul

While I'm always trying to be precise in my update notes, I only
maintain a handful of packages. I can understand how putting verbose
update notes can be a daunting task. Also, what's the problem of going
to upstream website to check what changed in 2.16.2? Or to
/usr/share/doc/foo-2.16.2-1? I think that a more sane reason to put
elaborate update notes would be some packaging changes/patches within
one upstream version.
Btw, how about pulling the data from spec %changelog automatically?

Regards,
Julian