how to show upstream changes to the user

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Tue Jan 27 10:28:10 UTC 2009

On Tue, 27 Jan 2009, Dan Horák wrote:

> Both sides in the "Lack if update information" thread are true. The
> presented information about changes is almost useless for the user, but
> rewriting the upstream changelogs into bodhi is a superfluous burden for
> the maintainers. There is, in my opinion, a technical solution for this
> issue that can make both sides happy.
>
> And it is new "ChangeLog" tag in RPM. It should be an URL pointing to
> upstream changelog and GUI package management tools can open a browser
> window to show the content, like they do for the home page.
>
> pros:
> - low overhead for maintainer
> - can provide complete info to the user even when he/she skips some
> updates
> - allows changelogs per sub-package
>
> cons:
> - slightly larger metadata

cons continued:
- It introduces a spec incompatibility, which can be taken care of in
   Fedora land but not so easy for EPEL side of things. Dunno if our
   buildsys ever does anything with the rpmbuild of the host system
   (I seem to recall it doing some part there but could easily be wrong),
   IF so this is pretty much a no-go.

Would be trivial to add, sure. The question is, would it make any
difference to either
a) asking packagers to add pointer to existing %changelog when rebasing
    packages
b) have such a field in bodhi instead

 	- Panu -