Lack of update information

seth vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Wed Jan 28 04:40:12 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-01-28 at 05:31 +0100, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> On an i586, the times requires for yum updates are much higher
> (typically hours), times on old i686's are in the order of several 10
> minutes.

Any idea how much of the i586 transaction time is swapping?

> > People are working on both of the above issues.
> Really? I doubt your claim. At least I am not aware of any activities in
> RH's rpm to change rpm's payload rsp. to perform measurements on the
> impact of using modern compressors on rpm-payloads.

well one of the memory intensive portions of the transaction is being
worked on. The file fingerprinting. Additionally, Panu noticed an issue
when you test a transaction then turn around and run that transaction.
For odd reasons the memory size gets much bigger.

-sv