RFC: Disabling blinking cursor by default

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Fri Jan 30 16:00:13 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-01-30 at 08:28 +0100, Ralf Ertzinger wrote:
> Hi.
>
> On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 01:21:47 -0500, Matthias Clasen wrote:
>
> >   /**
> >    * GtkSettings:gtk-cursor-blink-timeout:
> >    *
> >    * Time after which the cursor stops blinking, in seconds.
> >    * The timer is reset after each user interaction.
>
> So the cursor blinks at first, but then stops? I think that may confuse
> people ("My cursor is broken, it stopped blinking.")

No, it works very well in practice. The blinking starts again the moment
you do something, like move focus.

Have you ever noticed that we hide the mouse pointer when you are typing
in an entry ? It comes back the moment you move the mouse. I have not
heard a single "My mouse is broken" complaint about that.