Package Review Stats for the week ending January 18th, 2009

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Fri Jan 30 22:08:54 UTC 2009

drago01 wrote:
> P.S: reading this from you was unexpected but nice to see, considering
> that you answered my question why most of the core KDE packages have
> closed ACLs (is this still the case?)  you said "because the KDE SIG
> is already doing a good job" (which is no reason why other people
> should not be allowed to do a good job too ;) )

Most of KDE has now been opened up to provenpackager, only the core packages
(kdelibs and kdebase*) are still closed. And that's probably also not
needed, I won't complain if they get opened up (as long as people don't
start committing nonsense like "follow GNOME HIG", "put the GenericName
into Name" or the like ;-) ).

Still, I must also say that I don't see why we're expected to open up while
at the same time the usual suspects (kernel, glibc etc. and also the
Firefox stack (*)) are allowed to stay locked down. :-/ How's that fair?
The same rules should apply to *all* packages, no exceptions.

        Kevin Kofler

(*) which is really worth a rant of its own - why do we accept those asinine
patch approval policies which keep us from doing cooperative development
and sometimes even from fixing real issues (I remember the
hunspell/xulrunner ABI fiasco) instead of just renaming the f***ing thing
like Debian does?