Reminder: Do not use trademarks in Summary or Description

Joshua C. joshuacov at
Sat Jan 31 09:36:19 UTC 2009

2009/1/30 Tom spot Callaway <tcallawa at>:
> They advised that the same advice applies to Documentation.
> Never use "tm" or "(R)". If we are obliged by contract to mention other
> trademarks in a legend, add the legend as required by the contract.
> In addition, our documentation should contain the disclaimer:  "All
> other trademarks are the property of their respective owners."
> ~spot

Just a question here:

Since some of the contributors to fedora live/are located outside of
the usa, should they be "restricted" by the us trade mark law? The
code cannot be patented as a sequnce of mathematical formulas making a
given hardware to work in a definite way.

Maybe not complying to these rules could lead to packages being not
redestributed with fedora but they are still fedora-"legal" packages.
So putting them in rpm-fussion or other repos can circumvent this

Since these packages are bound to those trademarked names/patented
devices there should be a way to say thier proper name (fair use).
Software written to work with logithek should be described as such,
because the vendor decided to call thier product logithek. I don't see
another way to say this without the trademarked name.

And of course: All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.