Reminder: Do not use trademarks in Summary or Description

Joshua C. joshuacov at googlemail.com
Sat Jan 31 14:38:08 UTC 2009

2009/1/31 Tom spot Callaway <tcallawa at redhat.com>:
> On 2009-01-31 at 9:24:23 -0500, "Joshua C." <joshuacov at googlemail.com>
> wrote:
>>  The question is if everyone should be bound by these laws. Since the
>> programmer, the code, the idea (anything) originates outside of the us
>> (for packagers that are not in the us). it is only "shipped" (I'm not
>> sure if this is even the right word for this) to a server that's
>> somewhere in the us. So why should someone be bound (a programmer and
>> a user outside of the us) by laws just becase the software goes
>> through a server in us.
>
> Basically, the answer is that Fedora takes on legal responsibility for
> everything we distribute, even if we're not the
> programmer/author/creator/copyright holder.
>
> If I sell a gun to a 5 year old child, I'm liable, not the gun manufacturer.
>
> ~spot

I completely understand your point. The laws have always been a stage
for wide range of interpretation. And I'm sure there're many more
ideas how this should be understood and implemented. Unfortunately
because of the fact that the legal Guardian of the Fedora project is
bound by the US laws we should comply with these, too.
Maybe Paul W. Frields should take the next step and make the project
"completely" independant (this is my personal opinion).