Reminder: Do not use trademarks in Summary or Description

Joshua C. joshuacov at googlemail.com
Sat Jan 31 19:59:26 UTC 2009

2009/1/31 Tom spot Callaway <tcallawa at redhat.com>:
> On 2009-01-31 at 9:38:08 -0500, "Joshua C." <joshuacov at googlemail.com>
> wrote:
>> Unfortunately
>> because of the fact that the legal Guardian of the Fedora project is
>> bound by the US laws we should comply with these, too.
>> Maybe Paul W. Frields should take the next step and make the project
>> "completely" independant (this is my personal opinion).
>
> We've been down this road a few times before, but there are serious
> logistical problems. If Fedora was a US non-profit entity, that entity
> would still have to comply with US laws (not to mention the financial
> issues around where the majority of Fedora's funding comes from).
>
> Even if Fedora incorporated as a separate entity in a legal no-mans-land
> (like say, the Isle of Man *cough, cough, cough*), they would be passing
> the risk onto US mirrors and users.
>
> I'm of the opinion that Fedora raises awareness of the issues that
> stifle innovation, both in the US and worldwide. There are options for
> individuals who are not bound by such laws (or who choose to be
> conscientious objectors). By playing by "the rules" we set a foundation
> for being able to document how broken laws are making developers and
> users suffer, and present that material as briefs in cases in In re Bilski:
>
> http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20080409033837121
>
> If you're completely uninterested in trying to fix the system as a
> participant, there are other distributions which don't care about legal
> issues. I'm proud that Fedora does its best to protect not just itself,
> but also its users from legal risk.
>
> ~spot
>
> --

I also like fedora for its innovation and "being on the edge". But
sometimes I think there are too many stiffness because of all these
legal issues. I know this have been discussed several times  (and I
don't want to start a new discussion here) but *maybe* the project
should try to find a way to circumvent the leagl side. I don't mean
non compliance but more projects like rpmfusion. It incorporates the
quality of fedora and is not bound by the *stupidity* of some
lawmakers. I think that copyright is a good think but things like the
DMCA just go *over the bounds*.