Validity of the CD size limit nowadays [Re: Features/ArchitectureSupport - changing what we build for]

drago01 drago01 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 31 20:48:24 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 9:36 PM, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:
> drago01 wrote:
>> File size limit on fat32 is 4GB not 2.
>
> Then try saving a file with more than 2 GB with Window$ Me...

I never tried that but I did store 3GB+ files on external FAT32
formatted media with both winXP and linux.
A 2GB limit would rather mean that the app you used does not support
LFS (and therefore is limited to 2GB files).
But the filesystem FAT32 has a 4GB filesysize limit ( 4GB - 1 byte to be exact).
"The maximum possible size for a file on a FAT32 volume is 4 GiB minus
1 byte (2^32-1 bytes)" [1]

1: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FAT_32#FAT32