Fedora Project, give me 20 Million Euros or Free EDA software

Horst H. von Brand vonbrand at inf.utfsm.cl
Sat Jan 31 23:11:07 UTC 2009

Manuel Wolfshant <wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro> wrote:
> On 01/31/2009 10:21 PM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> > Now, thinking about it: Are there any other uses for OVM aside from
> > running it in a non free simulator? Would it somehow be useful for
> > people to learn from even though they cannot run it? Or is there any
> > other reasons it would be useful for people who don't have access to
> > the non free simulator?

> Let's put it the other way around: how many people WITHOUT access to a
> commercial simulator would be interested in this package ? What if you
> are in my case, where you have a Fedora server which shares the
> content and dozens of users using Centos + non-free EDA tools ?
> As of  "would possibly install this package, get confused, be unable
> to run it" it's easy to solve with a single one liner in %Description:
> "For the moment you will need <add proper application name here> to
> use it".

And all mirrors have to carry this stuff around, for a tiny minority of
users?  It is much more reasonable to set up your own repo with the stuff
around the non-free tools, whip up a community around it, and go from
there. This is not rocket science. Yes, it does require work on your part,
not just waiting for it to "magically" show up in your nearest Fedora
mirror.
Casilla 110-V, Valparaiso, Chile 2340000       Fax:  +56 32 2797513