an update to automake-1.11?

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Wed Jul 1 11:09:08 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-07-01 at 12:50 +0200, Ondřej Vašík wrote:
> Mark McLoughlin wrote:

> > > Upgrade on F-11 (and F-10) was requested because there are some projects
> > > (like gnulib/coreutils) which really need automake 1.11 for build in
> > > latest stable versions.
> >
> > Is there a bug report with details of this gnulib/coreutils request?
>
> Not really, it was just direct irl/irc/mail communication with
> automake/autoconf fedora maintainers&comaintainers. First request was
> only about 1.10b in rawhide (after f-12 split) - as I needed at least
> 1.10b to build coreutils-7.4 there (otherwise only with an ugly hack).

Okay, but what exactly are we talking about here? What does gnulib or
coreutils need that 1.10 doesn't have?

A rebase of an important package in three stable releases, which is
expected to break rebuilds of some packages, should surely have more
justification than an empty update description, no associated bugzilla
and claims that Jim Meyering needs some unspecified new features.

Cheers,
Mark.